A GUIDE TO YOU, WHO WANTS TO BECOME A SKI INSTRUCTOR!
Ski instructors or snowboard instructors are people you will meet at ski resorts all over the world. They are a part of the local environment. But how do you become a ski instructor?
LIFE AS A SKI INSTRUCTOR
Living as a ski instructor is a fun way of living, where you can combine work and spare time. The days are rarely the same, and the instructor life is filled with new people and experiences.
A normal working day as a ski instructor typically looks like this; you wake up and catch the first lift up the mountain. Then you have an hour of skiing on the freshly prepared slopes all by yourself at this time of the day. Then you meet at the ski school, where your working day begins.
The days at your ski school can vary a lot. Every week new guests arrives to the resort. That means that the amount of working hours can vary from day to day and from week to week.
HOW TO BECOME A SKI INSTRUCTOR
The education to become an instructor can be done in several ways. Agencies like Snowminds can help you with job guarantee at a ski school for the season, course with education for 2-7 weeks, language course, kick-off event before departure, skipass, uniform, insurances etc. An agency can help and support you throughout the process.
WHAT DOES THE INSTRUCTOR EDUCATION CONSIST OF?
The education consists of:
- Preparation material with all the important information about the trip.
- Kick-Off Event where you will meet all the other instructors and team leaders. At the kick-off you will receive a lot of information and get prepared to the season starts.
- Education and training on and off the slopes in the weeks towards the exam. You will be divided in groups with the same level of ski experience. In the groups you will practice on the technique which is required by you and that you will be teaching in at the ski school.
- There will be a lot of teambuilding and activities at the courses, so that you can get closer to your new colleagues.
The education will also include:
- Transportation from the course and to your destination.
- Housing and half board during the course.
HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED TO BECOME A SKI INSTRUCTOR?
It is difficult to define how the experience level should be. If you have been skiing for eg. 3 weeks, it is recommended that you choose a longer course, so that you can get training before the education.
Snowminds has an incredible high pass rate (more than 90% of the participants passes their course, depending on the course). If you do not pass, it can be due to the skiing level, the language level or that you just had a bad day, which can happen to anyone.
A bonus is, if you are good at languages and has teaching experience. It is not required, and our experience is, that it is something that anyone can learn and master – as long as you are motivated!
WHERE CAN I GO?
The ski instructor education takes place in Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Australia, Switzerland, Spain, South Africa or Austria. All the countries are very different from each other with language and culture. But a common thing for them all is, that no matter where you go, you will get an incredible experience!
It all depends on when you want to leave, as the season in Canada, Japan, Austria and Spain is in the winter season, and the season in South Africa, New Zealand and Australia runs over the summer season. You can read more about the different destinations and what they offer here at Ratoong and also rate the destinations you’ve visited and see what others have rated them to.